Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Peers of a Pair Report of Appeal -Australia

#1 User is offline   savphantom 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-May-19, 05:57

Alerted Diamonds+Spades<br>East bid 4H insufficient over 4S Not accepted corrected to 5H

Score +200 NS

NS very experienced players, recent partnership , EW have less tournament experience.
Report of actual NS agreeement not confirmed.

Table director recalled by NS to suggest their misinformation of 3 may have damaged EW.

East stated that after Partner bids 3NT he is always bidding Hearts. South holding a Diamond pre-empt rather than two suits does not affect his intention to his bidding Hearts. He was sure he would bid 5 over 4 also.
Table director ruled no adjustment. Table score stands.

Director-in-Charge overuled the table decision and awarded score of -1100 to NS based upon 4X by North. A possible action for East with knowledge that South held only a Diamond suit.

North appealed.

Appeal Committee investigated in detail East's confidence in bidding on in Hearts. Specifically inquired whether doubling 4S could be a potential bid. East was adamant that she saw no alternative to bidding 5. did not mention passing 4 as an option she might consider.
Committee found that players of comparable standard using the methods of the EW partnership did not have a logical alternative to bidding 5.

Committee decision was Table score 200 NS to apply.

What would you rule in Appeal?
Do you believe adjustment should be made on the basis of actions slightly more experienced EW players might take or weight scores from actions such as 4 North, 4X or 5 East?

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-May-19, 07:14

I might ask the question why North didn't bid 5 either initially or over 5 with a bucketload of spades and no defence. I think it's an action that's in the frame.

I also think in practice 4x may not go for as many as 1100, 3 rounds of hearts is a pretty normal start so declarer makes 4 spades in hand, 2 diamonds and the heart ruff with the A.

#3 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2011-May-19, 08:53

If East thinks that J9 is not a good holding to defend with when spades are apparently 5/3 why is it better when they are split 1/7?

The TD and AC were correct: the DIC made a TD beginner's blunder: he ruled on the basis that South had a one-suiter in diamonds and East knew that North did not know it.

:ph34r:

Incidentally, while I am convinced adjusting is wrong, not weighting the score if it were correct to adjust also seems a very poor effort by the DIC.

As for North not bidding 5 that looks like a fielded misbid to me. But as always, despite the breach of Law 40A3, fielded misbids do not seem to be treated as illegal outside the British Isles.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-19, 08:57

bluejak, on 2011-May-19, 08:53, said:

As for North not bidding 5 that looks like a fielded misbid to me. But as always, despite the breach of Law 40A3, fielded misbids do not seem to be treated as illegal outside the British Isles.

Yeah, but you have to wonder if there was some body language that told him not to bid 5, or whether partner had got this wrong before.

#5 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-19, 09:33

Sure: body language, UI, etc. Got it wrong before, fielded misbid, problem.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#6 User is offline   olien 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-May-19, 11:33

There are tactical reasons for not bidding 5 as well. If S is expected to be atleast 5/5 in and , then there are no tricks to be taken, so bidding 5 may push E-W into a slam they would not have otherwise bid. Also, can S really be 5/5 in and when N is looking at 7 and W bid 3NT? Seems like N is able to use logic to figure out something is going on.

So, N has logical information and tactical reasons for not bidding 5.

#7 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2011-May-19, 12:57

bluejak, on 2011-May-19, 08:53, said:

That is because they are not treated as illegal by the law book.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#8 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-19, 13:11

Are you sure, Wayne? David is using "field" in the sense of "illegally accounting for the possibility". IOW, fielding occurs when there is sufficient partnership experience that a particular "misbid" of a stated agreement implicitly creates a new agreement. If there is no implicit agreement, then I would agree there is no infraction of law, but if the TD determines that such an agreement is likely*, failure to disclose it is, as David said, a breach of Law 40A3.

*ruling, of course, on the preponderance of the evidence, and not the stronger "beyond reasonable doubt".
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#9 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2011-May-19, 15:38

blackshoe, on 2011-May-19, 13:11, said:

Are you sure, Wayne? David is using "field" in the sense of "illegally accounting for the possibility". IOW, fielding occurs when there is sufficient partnership experience that a particular "misbid" of a stated agreement implicitly creates a new agreement. If there is no implicit agreement, then I would agree there is no infraction of law, but if the TD determines that such an agreement is likely*, failure to disclose it is, as David said, a breach of Law 40A3.

*ruling, of course, on the preponderance of the evidence, and not the stronger "beyond reasonable doubt".

If this is the case then I do not believe that such "fielded misbids" are "not ... treated as illegal outside the British Isles".
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#10 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-19, 15:57

Perhaps not everywhere and always, but certainly often enough at club level in North America (at least the parts of North America with which I am familiar, bridge-wise). By omission, imo, rather than by design, but it does happen.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#11 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-20, 05:58

Cascade, on 2011-May-19, 12:57, said:

That is because they are not treated as illegal by the law book.

My Law book has a 40A3 in it. Does not yours?
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
<webjak666@gmail.com>

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users