BBO Discussion Forums: Did anybody ever did some serious bridge training ? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Did anybody ever did some serious bridge training ?

#1 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-April-28, 18:54

Or just every pro is just playing and getting there on sheer talent and playing volume alone ?
From what I talked to some good polish players most of them just played and got really good. One of the best polish players ever said that when he was young he "drunk vodka and played cards in the dorm".
I've never heard about people really doing any training. I mean regular sessions with focus on specific things, preferably directed by a trainer. Something like you see in any other sport and/or intellectual activity (Koren pro-gamers for example train ridiculous amount of hours almost every day).

I was playing chess as a junior and it was common among my peers to train quite a lot and it was impossible to win anything without a lot of training. In bridge I am yet to see someone who would say "I trained really hard this season, hope it will pay off".

Do you know anything about pro's routines ? Or maybe some thoughts from your own experience ?

#2 User is offline   Trumpace 

• Hideous Rabbit
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-28, 19:20

The Dallas Aces?

#3 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-29, 01:19

No

#4 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-April-29, 02:02

I believe the Dutch team has (or had) regular training sessions.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#5 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-April-29, 03:01

England has in the past held regular training weekends for the junior and women's squads. When I was a junior they were run by people like David Burn, Andrew Robson and Raymond Brock, each weekend focussing on a particular topic. I found them very useful.

I think they experimented with doing the same for the open squad, but it wasn't a success.

Several of England's top pairs employ coaches, mainly to help them to work on their system - sometimes an outsider's eye can be helpful. The EBU sometimes provides funding for this.

This post has been edited by gnasher: 2011-April-29, 03:03

... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#6 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-30, 06:36

View PostFree, on 2011-April-29, 02:02, said:

I believe the Dutch team has (or had) regular training sessions.

Awhile back I heard in the Netherlands that bridge was "taught" in high schools ( or even in Jr High ) ..... perhaps as an elective or part of the recreational program... I'm not sure. and I'm not sure if they still do.
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#7 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2011-April-30, 08:08

Yeah the Dutch team has regular training sessions, organized by Anton Maas. There are similar things for the junior, youth and women teams.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#8 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2011-May-01, 06:25

The Dallas Aces had a trainer, an ex-army officer named Joe Musemici (sic). They actually did some physical training - O.K. everyone, let's visualize Bob Hamman and Wolffie jogging. They played thousands of hands at Ira Corn's house - against one another and sometimes against outside competition. After each session they analyzed the hands and assigned charges for mistakes. The elder Jacoby was sometimes around to settle some arguements. It seemed to work thanks largely to the rather forceful personalities of Ira and Joe.

#9 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2011-May-01, 18:10

OzOne is a team with a trainer funded by a generous millionare, in an attempt to make Australia be competitive on a world level. I think they were trying to copy the idea of the Aces. Can't say it's worked yet.
I Transfers

#10 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-02, 17:57

Some teams get proffesional trainers, I am not sure who deos that nowadays, but Martens used to do it. Also I think Kaplan did and probably many more.

But extensive training... well, most people just play, and partnerships play together. My father has hundreds of sets of hands that he used to use to train with his partner on specifical sequences. But card play focused training is harded to achieve.

#11 User is offline   Rossoneri 

• Wabbit
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-May-04, 06:12

View PostQuantumcat, on 2011-May-01, 18:10, said:

OzOne is a team with a trainer funded by a generous millionare, in an attempt to make Australia be competitive on a world level. I think they were trying to copy the idea of the Aces. Can't say it's worked yet.

I had an impression that OzOne was disbanded. Am I wrong and they are still around?
SCBA National TD, EBU Club TD

Unless explicitly stated, none of my views here can be taken to represent SCBA or any other organizations.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users