Eric, it seems like we are talking in other directions. With the exact same hand but with the
♠K as a bonus, I'd overcall 1NT without any problem. On the other hand, if I had a similar strength and distribution but with both
♠A and
♠K, then I wouldn't overcall 1NT since my honours would be too concentrated in a short suit.
And to state the range of my 1NT overcalls, I quote myself:
Free said:
1NT overcall usually shows 15-17 and balanced.
I also have a remark on what you're saying:
EricK said:
Everyone knows that a 1NT overcall may be made on a weak hand with a long suit into which you rescue yourself. That is a gross distortion of what you actually have
Since 1NT isn't alerted as "possible weak hand with escape suit", it would be a psych if I had such hand. Perhaps I psyched a psych here with the 2
♦, but that's not what this is all about. However, it's indeed an interesting bid
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe