another normal hand play 3NT

#1 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-April-01, 05:48

IMP's on BBO

Lead is T: T-Q-J-4
Declarer next plays from dummy (agree?): 2-5-K-7
How (and why) would you continue from here?
Thanks,
Koen
(I underlined the card that takes the trick; bold the card of declarer: is there any standard convention on how this should be done?)

#2 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-01, 06:44

It looks to me that your best chance is to hope that RHO has the A and one of the minors to be breaking. Cash s discarding s and play another from dummy.
Even if do not break you next establish a for your ninth trick before opponents can take 5. Likewise if are 5-2 you should still make if break.
This assumes that either s break 5-1 and at least one honor is with RHO or if are 4-2 that RHO has the A.
You have to go up with the A if opponents continue with .
The alternative of playing for s to break and playing next a low from hand is unlikely to work since opponents will probably try to establish 3 tricks, unless the Q is on or either opponent had Ax.
Of course LHO may have ducked the A.

Rainer Herrmann

#3 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-01, 08:23

View Postrhm, on 2011-April-01, 06:44, said:

It looks to me that your best chance is to hope that RHO has the A and one of the minors to be breaking. Cash s discarding s and play another from dummy.
Even if do not break you next establish a for your ninth trick before opponents can take 5. Likewise if are 5-2 you should still make if break.
This assumes that either s break 5-1 and at least one honor is with RHO or if are 4-2 that RHO has the A.
You have to go up with the A if opponents continue with .
The alternative of playing for s to break and playing next a low from hand is unlikely to work since opponents will probably try to establish 3 tricks, unless the Q is on or either opponent had Ax.
Of course LHO may have ducked the A.
Rainer Herrmann

Thanks Rainer.
Don't you always need the Heart trick if RHO has Club Axx?
I did run the spade from dummy (RHO not following), hoping that I could end-play LHO some time in spade for trick 9. How bad was that?

#4 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-01, 11:48

View Postkgr, on 2011-April-01, 08:23, said:

Thanks Rainer.
Don't you always need the Heart trick if RHO has Club Axx?

Of course (unless you try establishing , which I do not suggest). But the timing is crucial. Opponents are likely to switch to s next, which will likely give them 3 tricks or more in s plus the A. So they may have 5 tricks quickly. Therefor you need to establish your trick last as your ninth trick, so that opponents can not cash length tricks there before you cash 9.

I did run the spade from dummy (RHO not following), hoping that I could end-play LHO some time in spade for trick 9. How bad was that?

If I would see 8 tricks. But again I would expect them to establish next. Now they very likely will have at least 4 tricks before the end-play can materialize.

Rainer Herrmann

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-01, 16:23

View Postrhm, on 2011-April-01, 06:44, said:

4-2 and RHO has A and 3-2 with Ace onside ,5-2 .

When u play 2nd from dummy after 4, he takes his A, cashes 5th if he had 5 (doesnt matter who has 5), and exits with his last . Seems like they can score 2+1+1+1 if i am not missing something.

Regardless though Rainer, your line seems to me the best, as usual. :)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-02, 08:51

IMP's on BBO

Thanks of the answers.
This was the complete hand.
The actual play didn't really matter given the position of the honours.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users