• Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-March-26, 08:53

K83
A
Q10653
Q863

1-(2)-3[HE)-(pass)
4-(pass)-??

No serious or frivolous 3NT apply here (for us), would you cue 4[HE] or bid 4?

#2 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-26, 09:07

And what did 3 mean ?
Usually you have some kind of system to distinguish between GF and invitations.
Cuebid is automatic if I showed an invitation. If I showed inv+ or GF+ then it matter of agreements. I prefer playing that cuebid is not obligatory here but I have too little experience with wide range openers to be confident about this situation.

#3 User is offline   andy_h 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Universe, Traveling, Squash, and Scandinavia.

Posted 2011-March-26, 10:15

Could I have bid 4S the last round?
- Andy -

We are all connected to each other biologically, to the Earth chemically, and to the rest of the universe atomically.
We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.

#4 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-26, 12:48

View PostFluffy, on 2011-March-26, 08:53, said:

K83
A
Q10653
Q863

1-(2)-3-(pass)
4-(pass)-??

No serious or frivolous 3NT apply here (for us), would you cue 4 or bid 4?

Cue bid?!?!?!?! help partner, who has already cuebid?!?!?!...ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! What do you think this is;... a partnership?? :D
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-26, 16:41

3 = inv+

#6 User is offline   andy_h 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Universe, Traveling, Squash, and Scandinavia.

Posted 2011-March-27, 03:30

Sorry I mis-read. I thought the guy had pre-empted 3H and we could have shown a 9-12 ish raise with a 4S jump. I don't think I would cue-bid. We have minimum in high cards and the Ace is in our shortage so I will sign off - there has to be line where we are just courtesy cueing or else we don't know what kind of extras we have (or lack thereof) and we'd be playing at the 5level. I would cue-bid however if my Ace was in another suit say diamonds so Kxx x AQxxx Qxxx.
- Andy -

We are all connected to each other biologically, to the Earth chemically, and to the rest of the universe atomically.
We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.

#7 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-March-27, 04:29

In my partnership we cue 4 here.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)
"At last: just calm down, this kind of disrupted boards happens every day in our bridge community. It will always be an inherent part of bridge until we move to a modern platform, and then will we have other hopefully less frequent issues." P Swennson

#8 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-27, 04:53

In sequences where we've agreed a major but both players are unlimited, I think that the first player to initiate cue-bidding at a given level shows extra values, but cooperation at the same level doesn't.

In this sequence, opener's cue-bid shows extras, and responder should bid 4, not promising more than an invitation. If either player were to to go past 4, that would show more strength than they'd already promised.

Maybe it's time to discuss making use of 3NT?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#9 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-27, 04:59

In this sequence, opener's cue-bid shows extras, and responder should bid 4♥, not promising more than an invitation. If either player were to to go past 4♠, that would show more strength than they'd already promised.

This agreement has this problem that if it goes:

4♣ - 4♥
4♠

Responder doesn't know if opener bid 4♠ because he hasn't any more extra value or because lack of diamond control makes slam impossible (so if responder has extra value he doesn't know if he could go beyond 4)
In general it's a big problem when both players are unlimited. Usually a sign that the system has bad design.

#10 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-March-27, 05:37

View Postbluecalm, on 2011-March-27, 04:59, said:

This agreement has this problem that if it goes:

4♣ - 4♥
4♠

Responder doesn't know if opener bid 4♠ because he hasn't any more extra value or because lack of diamond control makes slam impossible (so if responder has extra value he doesn't know if he could go beyond 4)
In general it's a big problem when both players are unlimited. Usually a sign that the system has bad design.

if all responder needs is a control, he can bid 5 or 5. Of course that means we're on the 5 level, not ideal.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#11 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-27, 05:45

if all responder needs is a ♦ control, he can bid 5♣ or 5♥. Of course that means we're on the 5 level, not ideal.

We are different in a sense that I consider being on 5level in game hand as major disaster.
It's not that all responder needs is control. He may have significant extras but not slam force by any means. Now as partner invited a slam by cuebidding first he would like to cooperate but unfortunately we have no idea what was the reason for opener bidding 4. If one of the hands is limited then it's not that big of a problem because we know to what opener invited a slam.
If our hand is inv+ then we have no idea if opener has major powerhouse or just light slam invite which he considered obligatory to cue bid with because we might have been very strong for 3.

#12 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-March-27, 07:51

View Postbluecalm, on 2011-March-27, 05:45, said:

We are different in a sense that I consider being on 5level in game hand as major disaster.

If merely being at the five-level is a major disaster, what do you call it when you reach the five-level and actually go down?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#13 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-March-27, 10:42

View Postgnasher, on 2011-March-27, 04:53, said:

In sequences where we've agreed a major but both players are unlimited, I think that the first player to initiate cue-bidding at a given level shows extra values, but cooperation at the same level doesn't.

In this sequence, opener's cue-bid shows extras, and responder should bid 4, not promising more than an invitation. If either player were to to go past 4, that would show more strength than they'd already promised.

Maybe it's time to discuss making use of 3NT?

If making use of 3NT has already been discussed, then this could be changed to:

When we've agreed a major but both players are unlimited, there are the following choices ---

--Opener can decline the invite.
--Opener can accept the invite by bidding 4S.
--Opener can show show a little extra with a cuebid, which says "if YOU have GF, we should explore slam. This is not the same as a "courtesy" cue if we were already in a game force at the 3-level.
--Opener can bid 3NT to say "I am interested in slam opposite your invite".

Or, your agreement could be to reverse the meanings of the cue and of 3NT. (Notice I don't dare to use "serious, non-serious, frivolous, etc"; those terms are used and abused enough.)
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#14 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2011-March-27, 15:57

4. 3 was already an overbid. Should promise limit raise or better with four card support.
I like 1 - (2) - X to show limit raise or better with only three card support. In a contested auction nobody cares about the minors.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users