• You cannot reply to this topic

Have your cake and eat it too?

#21 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-March-18, 05:50

It's difficult to assert what these non-bunnies thought about 2. North definitely forgot. But then isn't 1-1NT-2-p; 2 a reverse? So North should bid game with his wonderful 7 count. If North didn't forget, then he is competing 3/2 in a possible 4-2 fit.

What about South? He has 4 card support but a very bad spade holding. So he doesn't appear to have a superaccept. And of course he didn't promise a balanced hand so probably no weak NT should superaccept. Only if you have a singleton and a non-minimum. So South bid well, if indeed they play transfers!
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#22 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2011-March-18, 06:20

i guess that it's an interesting hand. Playing W, with my clone sitting E, I would overcall 1{Sp] (so I said before the hands were shown), I presume there would be a negative X, and my cone would, I think, settle for 2. Easy to say after seeing the hands of course, but I generally am wary of the pre-emptive jump to 3 on little else beyond the presumed nine card fit. I suppose 3 by S would be the final contract.

Switching me and my clone around to the NS seats, suppose it goes 1-1-X-3. Do I, at mps, hit this? Probably I don't, call me chicken. Do we beat it two tricks? Down 1 seems easy, down 2 seems highly obscure (Edit: OK, while chopping berries for a cake I worked it out, maybe it even happens). So if EW get to play 3 against me and my clone, it's likely down 1, undoubled by may chicken-hearted soul.

I suppose, since the hand barely makes 2 when partner supplies four spades and the king of diamonds I might consider rethinking my earlier comment that if I had overcalled 1NT (I wouldn't) then I would bid 2 at my next turn. But I am a slow learner so I am not yet ready to change my view.
Ken

#23 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2011-March-18, 06:28

View Postgwnn, on 2011-March-18, 05:50, said:

It's difficult to assert what these non-bunnies thought about 2. North definitely forgot. But then isn't 1-1NT-2-p; 2 a reverse? So North should bid game with his wonderful 7 count. If North didn't forget, then he is competing 3/2 in a possible 4-2 fit.

What about South? He has 4 card support but a very bad spade holding. So he doesn't appear to have a superaccept. And of course he didn't promise a balanced hand so probably no weak NT should superaccept. Only if you have a singleton and a non-minimum. So South bid well, if indeed they play transfers!

Upon reflection I think that, maybe anyway, the alerted 2 was just badly explained. It's not a transfer in the sense of strongly requesting partner to bid 2 but rather a way of showing four hearts. Using language this way, a negative double, as in 1-(1)-X could be called a transfer bid since it shows four hearts without bidding hearts. I think I would be a little ticked if my lho bid 2, my rho explained it as a transfered to hearts, and my lho showed up with six diamonds and four hearts, but maybe it's a local dialect.
Ken

#24 User is offline   Lurpoa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:SEF
    BBOAdvanced2/1
    2/1 LC
    Benjamized Acol
    Joris Acol
    Fantunes
    George's K Squeeze

Posted 2011-March-19, 05:19

View Postthe hog, on 2011-March-18, 05:33, said:

Insurance against what? 3H? Spare me!
3S is at least 1 off and probably 2.

Indeed difficult to judge...
But this is MP: 3= will not be a good score for us. I do not think that they can double 3.

and indeed in IMPS, vul, I
might not bid 3.

Could you be little bit more explicit on your answer ? and explain when to bid or not ?

Bob Herreman

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users