• You cannot reply to this topic

Quick puzzle hand Longing to get at dummy's spades

#1 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-February-20, 15:50

Actually occurred in today's match (IMPs):

I had it easy, getting a diamond lead, so able to ruff in dummy to cash the spades. But suppose you got a trump lead - those lovely top spades in dummy are waiting but the opps won't let you get over there, playing a 2nd trump when you give up a diamond. Can you spot the only chance?

Note: East does follow to the trump lead.

ahydra

#2 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2011-February-20, 20:51

I guess you can cash A and lead the J and hope that somebody started with both KQ and only one trump?

Or, you could play a small diamond after cashing the ace, then if an honour is doubleton and they started with only one trump, their partner has to set up your jack if they want to overtake and play another trump. But the first one is probably more likely.

If you had the ten as well you could hope someone started with KQJT KQ and then when you run the trumps, if they keep two high hearts and KQx, you can cash the ace and play a heart and they have to play a diamond for you. Or if they keep three hearts and KQ only, you can cash the ace and play a small diamond the set up a trick, and get back in with the heart.
I Transfers

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users