If there is one thing that is certain in this life, Nigel, it is that you are
not "a typical ordinary Scottish player".
Just look at the differences between England and Scotland. Before I decided to stop playing in Scotland because of the way I was treated after a specific happening, I used to struggle with Scottish alerting which I dislike intensely. As someone pointed out at an SBU meeting a few years ago, the easiest way for Scotland to have regulations without paying any significant amount of money was to adopt the EBU Orange book. Why did they not? Because someone at the back said "We cannot follow the bluidy English". When the cheering had stopped, a sensible person at the front said "But how can we do that then?". The bloke at the back volunteered to write the Scottish Blue book himself, and, what is more, did so.
In fact it would have been perfectly logical to adopt English regulations, but the Scots did not want to for nationalistic reasons. But when you talk of foreigners playing, the only significant number of foreigners playing in Britain are those from other British countries, eg English in Scotland and vice versa.
The whole trouble with your thread is that players do not want what you suggest, so you can stop blaming the administrators for following what people actually want.