BBO Discussion Forums: Partnership Agreement - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Partnership Agreement Doubles

Poll: Partnership Agreement (40 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you know what the last double means?

1. 1NT 2C (majors) P P dbl (13 votes [11.40%])

Percentage of vote: 11.40%

2. 2D (multi) P P dbl (24 votes [21.05%])

Percentage of vote: 21.05%

3. 1C 2C (majors) P P dbl (12 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

4. 1S 1NT P 2D(xfer) P P dbl (15 votes [13.16%])

Percentage of vote: 13.16%

5. 1NT P 2C (Stayman) P 2D P P dbl (25 votes [21.93%])

Percentage of vote: 21.93%

6. 2D (Flannery) P P dbl (16 votes [14.04%])

Percentage of vote: 14.04%

7. None of them (9 votes [7.89%])

Percentage of vote: 7.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2011-January-29, 09:26

I'm not interested in what the agreement is, just whether you have any agreement in your most regular partnership for the meaning of the double.
If you would have to guess at the table, you don't have an agreement (even if partner would guess the same)

(Selecting an answer means "yes" other than the last one)

There's a reason I'm asking, and it's not to be rude (or polite) about how detailed your system is.

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-29, 10:02

In each case we treat it as a takeout double of RHO's long minor. It helps that we play a short club and so this is still feasible after we have opened 1.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   Gerben42 

• Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2011-January-29, 10:31

I voted options 2, 5 and 6.

1NT 2 Pass Pass Dbl not sure if opener would ever double this for T/O.

2 Pass Pass Dbl is in our system script for art. opening bids as T/O vs and their 5+card suit. If this is the most useful agreement is something else but no point trying to agree something else and forget.

1 2 Pass Pass Dbl would be T/O if 2 would be natural but again 5 - 5 majors have already been bid, so T/O seems weird.

1 1NT Pass 2
Pass Pass Dbl: This one is just too weird, did that really happen? Was 1NT a psyche?

1NT Pass 2 Pass
2 Pass Pass Dbl = T/O as per meta-agreement.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#4 User is offline   OleBerg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Model-Railways.

Posted 2011-January-29, 10:43

Checked 1,2,4,5 and 6.

Just to be precise: We have no agreements on the excact sequences, but they are explicitly covered by a general agreement: "When an artificial bid is passed, double is take-out of the suit they have decided to play in."

I think we would both guess it to apply to 3) too, but as our 1 is 11+Nat or 15-19 any bal., it may not be 100% certain, that the rule applies here.

Edit: And our definition of take-out is: Not penalty, but urging partner to bid. How that should be interpretet in some of the sequences, might indeed leave us more guessing than knowing.

For instance in 1), I'd say 3-3-5-2 and very good, but that is just a guess, although qualified (in the context of my partnership).

Do not underestimate the power of the dark side. Or the ninth trumph.

Best Regards Ole Berg

We should always assume 2/1 unless otherwise stated, because:

- If the original poster didn't bother to state his system, that means that he thinks it's obvious what he's playing. The only people who think this are 2/1 players.

Gnasher

#5 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-January-29, 10:49

I don't have this agreement in any of my partnerships, but I like OleBerg's meta rule.

Perhaps one that should be added to the list is:

pass - pass - 1N - pass
2 - pass - pass - double

because to me this is a slightly different animal than the other choices.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#6 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2011-January-29, 11:23

2, 4, 5, 6 for me -- And I have explicitly discussed 2 and 6 with partner, 4 and 5 should logically be an awkward takeout type hand by a usual meta-agreement similar to OleBerg's.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#7 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-29, 13:46

OleBerg's rule is a good one, plus an agreement that you can play in a suit where they have shown four cards but not where they have shown five cards. That covers all except three which I don't think I have ever encountered and would have to guess.

#8 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-January-29, 14:08

if you think after

2-p-p-

they have a long suit, I think you sohuld reconsider.

not aimed at anyone in particular, just saying...

this double should probably be 12-14 semibalanced, probably.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#9 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-January-29, 16:46

1 is unclear. It ought to be penalty, because T/O makes no sense. Partner might disagree.
2,4,5,6 are takeout, no problem.
3 is penalty. Can't bid a suit and then make a takeout double of the same suit later. Meta rule.
Michael Askgaard

#10 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2011-January-29, 18:59

View Postpaulg, on 2011-January-29, 10:02, said:

In each case we treat it as a takeout double of RHO's long minor. It helps that we play a short club and so this is still feasible after we have opened 1.

Ditto

#11 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-29, 19:07

View Postmfa1010, on 2011-January-29, 16:46, said:

1 is unclear. It ought to be penalty, because T/O makes no sense. Partner might disagree.

Why does takeout make no sense? A 4-1 break at the two level is only a minor inconvenience.

#12 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-29, 23:41

I play these as takeout, with the possible exception of the third one. In some cases they can be off-shape, and certain ones (like the one after multi or after the apparent psych of 1NT) might be semi-mandatory on a good hand with no other reasonable action.

The third one is weird because it's a suit opener bid. Certainly playing strong club I would consider this takeout, but I'm not really sure what Elianna and my agreement would be. Probably penalty makes sense.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#13 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-30, 13:22

View Postnigel_k, on 2011-January-29, 19:07, said:

Why does takeout make no sense? A 4-1 break at the two level is only a minor inconvenience.

No sense was probably an overbid, but we are getting bad odds for a takeout double with say 4432. The opponents are having a likely misfit auction, both majors are spltting badly and RHO could have made a big guess when he passed 2. I don't think I would reopen with a T/O-double here even with perfect shape.
On the other hand a penalty double could be juicy, because if we have clubs locked up, partner could easily have length in the majors and they will have nowhere to run.
Michael Askgaard

#14 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-January-30, 13:47

On (1), here is another argument for playing it as penalties:

It's only crucial to protect if we can make game. If responder had enough strength for us to make game, he would normally have acted. With balanced values he would normally have doubled 2. The only good hand on which he might have passed is one with very short clubs, where he might be unhappy about defending 2x. If responder is short in clubs, opener will tend to be long in them. Therefore opener's double should be for penalties.

I'm not sure that I agree with that reasoning, but it's from the only book I've ever read that discussed this sequence, so I thought I'd share it.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#15 User is offline   OleBerg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Model-Railways.

Posted 2011-January-30, 14:26

View Postgnasher, on 2011-January-30, 13:47, said:

On (1), here is another argument for playing it as penalties:

It's only crucial to protect if we can make game. If responder had enough strength for us to make game, he would normally have acted. With balanced values he would normally have doubled 2. The only good hand on which he might have passed is one with very short clubs, where he might be unhappy about defending 2x. If responder is short in clubs, opener will tend to be long in them. Therefore opener's double should be for penalties.

I'm not sure that I agree with that reasoning, but it's from the only book I've ever read that discussed this sequence, so I thought I'd share it.

A partscore-swing is ½ a game-swing. This is my own reasoning, but I'm not sure I agree with it.

Do not underestimate the power of the dark side. Or the ninth trumph.

Best Regards Ole Berg

We should always assume 2/1 unless otherwise stated, because:

- If the original poster didn't bother to state his system, that means that he thinks it's obvious what he's playing. The only people who think this are 2/1 players.

Gnasher

#16 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-30, 14:42

View PostOleBerg, on 2011-January-30, 14:26, said:

A partscore-swing is ½ a game-swing.

Or potentially 100% of the matchpoints.

gnasher: Tear out that page, will you? :)
Michael Askgaard

#17 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-January-31, 11:56

People cannot figure out 1 because it is impossible. The 1N opener should never double for penalty or takeout. You have shown your hand type and partner has passed meaning he does not have invitational plus values. RHO has gambled on a pass. If our clubs are the nuts, he probably gambled incorrectly. Hopefully LHO is 5-6 in the majors with quite a strong hand, who knows. But we are certainly never giving them another shot, effectively letting them freeroll their gamble (when they are wrong, we crack them sometimes!).

Auction 3 is similar but differet in a key way, opener is unlimited enough that he might just have to double because his hand is too strong to pass it out. I would still expect bidding over this aution to be super infrequent, but if it happened I would take opener as extremely strong to where he felt like we were likely enough to make a game that he had to bid despite our pass of the 2C bid generally denying much in the way of values. I would expect opener to have good clubs obviously so I guess "penalty" but really it just shows a very good hand with game prospects which inferentially means good clubs.

#18 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2011-January-31, 13:29

I checked "none of them" since we've never explicitly discussed any of them. We have meta-agreements that *might* cover them in some cases, and in practice I think we'd even get several of them 'right' at the table. But I'd sure as heck be sweating it most of the time.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#19 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-31, 13:37

Obviously I would always pass on 1 with good clubs. It's much more likely they have guessed wrong than that we can take them for a number wherever they may run.

But with something like KQxx AQx KQxx xx I might choose to double especially if not vulnerable. Most times we will have a playable spot and defending 2 will not be great. Partner may pass sometimes as well. I like to fight pretty hard for part scores even at IMPS. Anyway, even if you don't agree with a takeout double on that hand, surely it makes more sense than a penalty double.

#20 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-February-01, 14:46

Answer to your questions #1 #2 and #5, depends on our defense method against these conventional bids.

IF our defense requires responder or 2nd seat overcaller to PASS first and take action later with specific hands, after they clarify their suit, or make a preference, then pass is out of question when 2nd opponent passes the artificial suit. Which in this case DBL is considered auto.

This is not my agreement with my pds to be honest, i found these in system notes of a famous pair, they do pass with some strong hands vs a landy 2, and their direct DBL and waiting and DBL shows all different stuff.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users