#1 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2011-January-24, 22:42

1 (1) 1 (3)
NB (NB) 4

What does this mean?

What shapes are permissible for responder?

What do you expect opener to do now with various hands?

Does this change in a weak no trump or four-card major structure?

One further not for us it was almost impossible for responder to have 4+ clubs since we can fit jump over 1.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#2 User is offline   tolvyrj 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-January-25, 07:51

First things fist, its game forcing :lol: . Secondly, prd has very few hearts, my guess is zero. Third question bout permissible shapes is a bit harder, since i dont know what for excample dbl here is in u sys, if its for penalties or for take out. Would 3 S here be forcing or just competetive ? And is 4D here forcing or competetive?
Two possibilities comes into my mind, prd has some kind of a three suiter in his hand and if u r sure he dont have 4 clubs, my guess he has 3 of them; 5-0-5-3 perhaps also 4-1-5-3 is possible, but then S r good and prd has plenty of side tricks ( of course 5-1-4-3 is an option).
Second option is that 4H is an auto splinter; then he has powerful one suiter in spades or 2 suiter with S and D; again if u r sure he dont have 4C, in this case his H stopper can also be an ace not singleton or void.
In case of weak Nt u prd knows u dont have weak balanced hand, four card majors...not sure, dont think so.
I would not bother my little head about the question what prd has; this is a kind of a headache convention bid; show me yours i`ll show mine later. Question is what do u bid now, S is first option if u have 3 or more of them, seconly D if u have 4 or more of them, and finally C if options 1 or 2 r inavailable. What would 4Nt be in here, natural i guess.
As long as i dont have to be Sherlock Holmes, im happy to be just Watson B)

#3 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-January-25, 21:58

Being British I play 4cM and weak NT and so wouldn't be surprised if responder had clubs, spades and a shortage in hearts - perhaps 5134. But he might also have something like 7033. I think something like 5053 would probably X rather than 4H.

If you exclude a club fit, then it's almost certainly a strong hand with spades with shortage in hearts [5H would be a strong hand with spades with no shortage].

This is awkward for opener though - he has no idea which shape he's facing. If he has a suitable hand he can bid 4NT asking regular aces (no suit agreed), sign off in 6 clubs and responder corrects [a little dangerous as responder may think opener has a boatload of clubs]. Otherwise I suggest he just bids 4S or 5C depending on how many spades he has.

ahydra

#4 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2011-January-25, 23:23

Autosplinter. Good spades, stiff H.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#5 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2011-January-26, 00:21

The most likely shape for the spade bidder is 7-0-3-3. We have the inference of no fit jump, and another inference that opener doesn't have a biddable diamond suit, since he would have a natural and (I'm assuming) forcing 4 call. With more hearts and game forcing values, partner would double 3.
Chris Gibson

#6 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-26, 06:58

agree with splinter in support of himself in S.

#7 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2011-January-26, 11:24

Slam try in spades, says nothing about hearts.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-26, 11:41

So are you all saying that he would not bid 4 with

AKxxxx Axx x AQx ?

Or

KQJTx xxx x AJxx with this ? Another huge hand due to xxx

Why is it strictly dedicated to splinter or self sufficient big hands only ?

Perhaps some may suggest DBL of 3 but its not hard to sense the double fit for both sides if we held that hand.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-January-26, 12:13

With AKxxxx Axx x AQx I'd make a takeout double. There's no chance that partner will leave it in, and double will get you more useful information than 4.

In some partnerships KQJTx xxx x AJxx would have made a fit jump, but if that isn't available I agree that 4 ought to include this sort of hand - double is already quite overloaded.

I prefer to avoid this problem earlier in the auction, by distinguishing between 4-, 5- and 6-card spade suits immediately over the 1 overcall.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#10 User is offline   agumperz 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-January-26, 18:07

View PostCascade, on 2011-January-24, 22:42, said:

1 (1) 1 (3)
NB (NB) 4

What does this mean?

What shapes are permissible for responder?

What do you expect opener to do now with various hands?

Does this change in a weak no trump or four-card major structure?

One further not for us it was almost impossible for responder to have 4+ clubs since we can fit jump over 1.

It could show:
* Spades and clubs, GF values, and heart shortness. For example, Jxxxx, --, AQxx, AQJx. (Responder did not fit-jump since his values are in the minors rather than the blacks)
* Primary spades and secondary clubs and offer COG: KJxxxx, x, AKx, AJx

Andrew

Andrew

#11 User is online   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-26, 19:33

We play it as choice of game offering 2 or 3 different strains (not NT). Opener is asked to make the cheapest meaningful rebid...

4S-spades
.....4N by responder now shows diamonds but willing to hear clubs
4N-diamonds
5C-clubs only

I would expect that partner's hand is unsuitable for double (short hearts?)

#12 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-February-01, 06:04

View PostCascade, on 2011-January-24, 22:42, said:

1 (1) 1 (3)
NB (NB) 4

> What does this mean?

Strong hand, I guess.

> What shapes are permissible for responder?

Since 4 would surely have been forcing and 4 muddy, I'd say either a bucketload of spades or club support or both.

> What do you expect opener to do now with various hands?

Bid spades if he has 3 of them. Else bid something descriptive. I'd say 4NT should be natural here because opener can hardly have a medium or better hand (15+ hcp).

> Does this change in a weak no trump or four-card major structure?

It means the 4NT bid of above would be off-shape because opener would have doubled 3 with the 15-17 balanced hand.

All of the above stands, with like a club less to be expected from responder.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users