BBO Discussion Forums: Defeat the slam - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Defeat the slam

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2010-December-01, 03:33



Partner leads ♠5 (third and fifth) and declarer will play the ♠8.

What now?
0

#2 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2010-December-01, 04:04

Am I supposed to win the ace, in case declarer has x Kxx KQJxxx AJx?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#3 User is offline   Free 

  • mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-July-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgium
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2010-December-01, 04:08

Winning with the Ace can work in 2 ways: either declarer has doubleton ♠ and will try to finesse the ♠, or he'll have singleton and won't try the ruffing finesse anymore.

I guess we can take with the Ace relatively safely and switch to a low ♣.

EDIT: I changed my mind, try to cash ♠AQ.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe
0

#4 User is offline   andy_h 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,962
  • Joined: 2007-September-14
  • Location:Australia
  • Interests:The Universe, Traveling, Squash, and Scandinavia.

Posted 2010-December-01, 04:09

I guess to cash two spades. If E-W have no extended methods over 1NT I will assume they have 4C gerber available. Based on that assumption West might have bid 4C with say x Kx KQJ-8th Kx and also West might not consider punting with that Ace-less hand too. So I guess I will play him for xx Kx KQJ-8th A. I have no experience in leading against these type of auctions, so if I was sitting in partner's chair I think I might've considered the Ace of clubs lead if I had it in case there are two clubs to cash.
- Andy -

We are all connected to each other biologically, to the Earth chemically, and to the rest of the universe atomically.
We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.
0

#5 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2010-December-01, 05:47

View PostFree, on 2010-December-01, 04:08, said:

Winning with the Ace can work in 2 ways: either declarer has doubleton ♠ and will try to finesse the ♠, or he'll have singleton and won't try the ruffing finesse anymore.

I guess we can take with the Ace relatively safely and switch to a low ♣.


I think that understates the risk. If declarer does have a doubleton spade, you'll survive if he has only one side king, only six diamonds, and no 4-card side suit. You lose to hands like xx Kx KQJxxxx Ax and xx x KQJxxx AKxx.

This might be easier in real life, because we'd know more about the opponents, their methods and their style. Before partner led, I would have found out whether LHO could have transferred to diamonds, and whether he could have investigated controls. Knowing how good a player he is might help too.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#6 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2010-December-01, 07:42

opponents don't have many tools in their arsenal, the hand before they bid 1♠-2♠-3♥-pass with 28 combined HCP.
0

#7 User is offline   dake50 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,211
  • Joined: 2006-April-22

Posted 2010-December-01, 08:13

Agree andy-h. If partner feels they are trying to snooker us, he might opening lead CA. So I try for 2xS.
0

#8 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2010-December-01, 08:33

you can ask about gerber, but they will look puzzled at you, asking: what did you say?
0

#9 User is offline   Free 

  • mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-July-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgium
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2010-December-01, 08:52

View Postgnasher, on 2010-December-01, 05:47, said:

I think that understates the risk. If declarer does have a doubleton spade, you'll survive if he has only one side king, only six diamonds, and no 4-card side suit. You lose to hands like xx Kx KQJxxxx Ax and xx x KQJxxx AKxx.

This might be easier in real life, because we'd know more about the opponents, their methods and their style. Before partner led, I would have found out whether LHO could have transferred to diamonds, and whether he could have investigated controls. Knowing how good a player he is might help too.

You have a point there.

Btw I changed my mind, in my experience most of the time when people just blast to slam like this, they're prepared for any lead except 1. So lefty will probably have ♣AK and a ♥ void with ♠xx.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe
0

#10 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2010-December-01, 10:20

ok, you already pointed out most possible lay outs.

Declarer actually held

♠9
♥x
♦KQJxxxx
♣AJxx

I switched ♠9 & 8 cos I though it was impossible to make the winning play of ♠A as the cards actually lied.
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users