BBO Discussion Forums: Missing Kings - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Missing Kings

#1 User is offline   kayin801 

  • Modern Day Trebuchet Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 738
  • Joined: 2007-October-17
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Mass.

Posted 2010-October-23, 19:44

Lead: ♦ 5


IMP scoring. Righty is a 191999. Plan the play please.

Is your line any different at MP?
I once yelled at my partner for discarding the 'wrong' card when he was subjected to a squeeze that I allowed by giving the wrong count with too high a card. Now he's allowed to pitch aces when the opponents have the king in the dummy. At trick 2. When he could have followed suit. And blame me.

East4Evil ♥ sohcahtoa 4ever!!!!!1
0

#2 User is offline   Hairy_Scot 

  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 64
  • Joined: 2006-December-17

Posted 2010-October-23, 20:52

Righty is a 191999??
0

#3 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2010-October-24, 04:54

I could play low at trick one, but then I might face an awkward guess after a black-suit switch.

Instead, I'd win ♦A and play a heart to the jack. If hearts aren't 4-0, I'm hoping for one of these:
- Heart K onside
- Hearts 2-2, so I can ruff two spades
- ♠K onside
- ♣Kx with RHO
- Clubs 3-3
- A black-suit squeeze against LHO

If ♥J holds, I can play a spade to the queen next, then cash ♥A before ruffing both my spade losers. (That loses when RHO is 1282 with ♠K, but you said he was aggressive. On a really bad day, RHO will be that shape without ♥K.)

Suppose that ♥J loses and they're 3-1. The play might go something like: first heart loses; diamond return ruffed; draw trumps; club to the jack; LHO wins and returns a club; spade to the queen and king; spade return won with the ace; spade ruff; diamond ruff; trump.

If hearts are 4=0, I still have decent chances. Something like: ♥J losing to ♥K; win trump return in dummy, ruff a diamond low, ♣J to West's king, win the trump return in dummy, ruff a diamond high, top clubs, draw the last trump. If the last club isn't good, use it to endplay LHO to lead from ♠K.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#4 User is offline   mfa1010 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 796
  • Joined: 2010-October-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Copenhagen, Denmark

Posted 2010-October-24, 09:30

I agree with gnasher. ♦A, ♥ to J and then normal play from there.
Michael Askgaard
0

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2010-October-24, 12:33

View Postmfa1010, on 2010-October-24, 09:30, said:

I agree with gnasher. ♦A, ♥ to J and then normal play from there.

My grandma would play this way too, but don't think she would have any squeeze in mind :)


Without the overcall I would play low diamond from dummy, and low club if it comes back, and if all the 4 kings are missplaced and opp do perfect timing (or manage a club ruff) I'd go down.

But after 3♦ overcall I don't like this line any more
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users