BBO Discussion Forums: Never 5C ? - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Never 5C ?

Poll: Take the East place : never 5C ? (34 member(s) have cast votes)

First bid, do you bid :

  1. 4C (6 votes [17.65%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 17.65%

  2. 5C (25 votes [73.53%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 73.53%

  3. Pass (3 votes [8.82%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 8.82%

2nd Bid :

  1. Pass (22 votes [64.71%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 64.71%

  2. 5C (12 votes [35.29%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 35.29%

Last bid :

  1. Pass (20 votes [58.82%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 58.82%

  2. 5C (14 votes [41.18%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 41.18%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   dellache 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 345
  • Joined: 2003-October-13
  • Location:Paris - France
  • Interests:Children, family, job. Then a few minutes remain to play Bridge.<br>

Posted 2010-October-24, 00:08

3S = Invite, not PRE

FD
0

#2 User is offline   the hog 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-March-07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Laos
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2010-October-24, 00:22

Bidding 4C and then 5C is really poor as you are taking the last guess on the hand. Either bid 4C and pass the double, or bid an immediate 5C - my choice.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.
0

#3 User is offline   dake50 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,211
  • Joined: 2006-April-22

Posted 2010-October-24, 08:05

First bid 5C. No suggestion of defending this hand.

5C after partner doubles 4S -- particularly poor defense for a free 4C bid.
0

#4 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2010-October-24, 12:16

5♣, 5♣, 5♣, maybe a pass at some point after previous misake is better, but I just wanna bid 5♣.
0

#5 User is offline   gwnn 

  • Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,027
  • Joined: 2006-June-16
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2010-October-24, 12:39

first time bid 5♣.

second time bid 5♣ even though it's inconsistent

third time bid 5♣ even though it's really really inconsistent
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin
0

#6 User is offline   mr1303 

  • Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,576
  • Joined: 2003-November-14
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2010-October-24, 13:11

I fully agree with the principle of not bidding 5C here once partner has made a penalty double of 4S, but given I was going to bid 5C the first time around, I can't make myself not bid it second or third time
0

#7 User is offline   gwnn 

  • Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,027
  • Joined: 2006-June-16
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2010-October-24, 14:14

by the way, I disagree with my first post. Bidding 5♣ the second time is more inconsistent than bidding 5♣ the third time. Partner can't have a pure penalty double - he just shows extra values. We are allowed to pull it, it is not inconsistent. With this hand it would be bad though, given that it was a 5♣ bid the first time around.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin
0

#8 User is offline   rduran1216 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 815
  • Joined: 2009-August-31

Posted 2010-October-25, 00:40

Are we playing equal level conversions?, I'd hate to punish partner if he's red.
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com
0

#9 User is offline   the hog 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-March-07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Laos
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2010-October-25, 01:48

View Postrduran1216, on 2010-October-25, 00:40, said:

Are we playing equal level conversions?, I'd hate to punish partner if he's red.

Good grief! Surely you are not playing ELC at the four level!
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.
0

#10 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2010-October-25, 02:45

View Postthe hog, on 2010-October-25, 01:48, said:

Good grief! Surely you are not playing ELC at the four level!

I think the point was that partner might have been planning to use ELC at the two-level, so he may not have many clubs.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#11 User is offline   No_Duck 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 2010-October-27
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Luxembourg

Posted 2010-October-27, 07:07

First of all I bid 5♣ at the first opportunity

OPP has 9+ ♠ and we Have 10+ ♣

I consider total tricks are about
18 in 10% case
19 in 50%
20 in 30%
21 in 10%

then I think 4♠ will make or go down one trick (25%) or make (50%) or make an overtrick (25%)

you can adjust my probabilities but the result will remain very close :

let them play 4♠ undoubled is about average -390 and playing 5♣ doubled is about -310

then it is better to bid and to play 5♣

of course if there is only 18 or 19 tricks the best choice is not to play 5♣
and if there is 20 or 21 we have to bid 5♣

Also this rise the question :
Is PASS on 3♠ a sensible choice?
For me I prefer by far 1/ 5♣ then 2/ PASS 3/4♣
0

#12 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2010-October-27, 08:48

I would bid 5♣ the first time and I think its clear. Does anyone really think we are going to buy it in 4♣?

Having misbid the 1st time, I would still bid 5♣ over 4♠ and do not consider it that inconsistent as my counterparts. While this is not the hand, there can be instances where you hope you could 'buy' it for 4♣, but take insurance over 4♠ anyway.

I would also pull the double which is penalty. This isn't a 'I have a good hand, what do you think' double. Partner passed 4♣ already. It feels wrong pulling the double with shortness in a suit that partner is hoping to cash some tricks (hearts) but I cannot stomach sitting when I have a 7 card suit and practically no defense.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#13 User is offline   mikestar13 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 649
  • Joined: 2010-October-27
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:San Bernardino, CA USA

Posted 2010-October-28, 18:54

I knew you guys were aggressive, but this is crazy--the hand may be only worth 5 tricks as you may well have to lead ♣ from your hand. Pass throughout-- this could easily be -800 or worse if you bid.
0

#14 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2010-October-28, 20:55

View Postmikestar13, on 2010-October-28, 18:54, said:

I knew you guys were aggressive, but this is crazy--the hand may be only worth 5 tricks as you may well have to lead ♣ from your hand. Pass throughout-- this could easily be -800 or worse if you bid.


LOL
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
0

#15 User is offline   the hog 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-March-07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Laos
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2010-October-28, 22:41

View Postmikestar13, on 2010-October-28, 18:54, said:

I knew you guys were aggressive, but this is crazy--the hand may be only worth 5 tricks as you may well have to lead ♣ from your hand. Pass throughout-- this could easily be -800 or worse if you bid.


And why do you think you may well have to lead ♣ from your hand? Do you think partner doubled with a void?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users