BBO Discussion Forums: Official BBO Hijacked Thread Thread - BBO Discussion Forums

• 203 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Official BBO Hijacked Thread Thread No, it's not about that

#441 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-January-31, 01:26

wait. poutine? gravy and curds on fries?

and the response was a resigned "unfortunately"? lol wtf is going on?
OK
bed

#442 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-31, 02:13

jjbrr, on Jan 31 2010, 02:26 AM, said:

wait. poutine? gravy and curds on fries?

and the response was a resigned "unfortunately"? lol wtf is going on?

Have you had it? It's nastyyyyyyy (and not in the good way) haha. Keep it in Quebec :P
The artist formerly known as jlall

#443 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-31, 03:45

i wont go near that ****. i refuse to accept that NYers are allowing it to catch on.
OK
bed

#444 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-31, 07:26

Hypothetical case:

Somebody has a CD with swiss bank account-data of 1500 US-citiziens and want to sell it for 1 mill bucks US authorities (IRS?)
The question is: Is US treasury authorities allowed to buy such stolen material and use it legal to investigate trespasses.???

There is a real, similar case in Germany at the moment.
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#445 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-31, 09:01

Hey! After grilled-cheese sandwiches, all we have left is poutine.

All dressed, or with smoked meat or with onions and peppers.....achey-breaky-heart.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#446 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2010-January-31, 09:05

The question is: Is US treasury authorities allowed to buy such stolen material and use it legal to investigate trespasses.???

Sure, under the banner of national security. They can also send the CIA to rendition to Bagram the poster who first mentioned it.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#447 User is offline   Jlall 

• Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2010-January-31, 12:54

Aberlour10, on Jan 31 2010, 08:26 AM, said:

Hypothetical case:

Somebody has a CD with swiss bank account-data of 1500 US-citiziens and want to sell it for 1 mill bucks US authorities (IRS?)

Seems like that should be illegal

#448 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2010-January-31, 14:50

MMA: fad, fiction, or ferocious?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#449 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-31, 15:12

i've never gotten into it. i predict it will satisfy a niche audience for a long time but won't become a "major sport"
OK
bed

#450 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-31, 15:17

Hypothetical case:

I think that generally if police purchase information then that may make the information suspect but if it turns out to hold up then I don't think the fact that it was purchased makes it unusable in court. But then usually purchased information is on a small scale, like from a stoolie. I guess the cited case is really large scale stool pigeoning and maybe scale matters. Or not. If the guy trying to sell this info is still alive, I'm impressed.
Ken

#451 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2010-January-31, 15:33

cops buy illegal stolen stuff all time, guns, drugs, etc etc. Just because they bought it does not exclude it.

Example you kill someone with a gun. Someone else steals it. They then try and sell it but the buyer is an uncover cop. I can still use information from the gun to try the murderer.

Of course you can change the facts and information may not be allowed in court. Tricky, really depends on the facts.

As others said you can pay informants and you can pay whistle blowers.

btw here in the USA there was an American who worked in Swiss banks in Switzerland. He was also part of the crime which he tried to hide. He is know in jail but is also trying to claim a reward for informing about the bigger crime.

#452 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-31, 15:54

kenberg, on Jan 31 2010, 04:17 PM, said:

Hypothetical case:

Somebody has a CD with  swiss bank account-data of 1500 US-citiziens and want to sell it for 1 mill bucks US authorities (IRS?)

I think that generally if police purchase information then that may make the information suspect but if it turns out to hold up then I don't think the fact that it was purchased makes it unusable in court. But then usually purchased information is on a small scale, like from a stoolie. I guess the cited case is really large scale stool pigeoning and maybe scale matters. Or not. If the guy trying to sell this info is still alive, I'm impressed.

In the real case in Germany, somebody offers 1500 files with accounts data from the swiss UBS bank....all germans customers....the price for the deal = 2,5 mill €
The finance authorities checked for example 5 of these files...they mean each of these 5 germans should pay about €1 million on taxes etc...
The experts mean the whole deal will bring german state about 100-200 mill ....if the minister of finance decide to buy it.

Two years ago they bought stolen data in Lichtenstein...it brought more then 100 mill on taxes till now.

#453 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2010-January-31, 15:59

Aberlour10, on Jan 31 2010, 04:54 PM, said:

kenberg, on Jan 31 2010, 04:17 PM, said:

Hypothetical case:

Somebody has a CD with  swiss bank account-data of 1500 US-citiziens and want to sell it for 1 mill bucks US authorities (IRS?)

In the real case in Germany, somebody offers 1500 files with accounts data from the swiss UBS bank....all germans customers....the price for the deal = 2,5 mill €
The finance authorities checked for example 5 of these files...they mean each of these 5 germans should pay about €1 million on taxes etc...
The experts mean the whole deal will bring german state about 100-200 mill ....if the minister of finance decide to buy it.

Two years ago they bought stolen data in Lichtenstein...it brought more then 100 mill on taxes till now.

First off if they stole the information or they are selling stolen goods, that is a crime. So sure pay them......arrest them, take back the money and use the information.

If they are just claiming some reward, then they give you the information for free, and just collect some reward. They are not selling the cd.

#454 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-31, 16:01

jjbrr, on Jan 31 2010, 04:12 PM, said:

i've never gotten into it. i predict it will satisfy a niche audience for a long time but won't become a "major sport"

This is not really true, MMA is huge and far surpasses boxing (which I don't think many would consider a niche sport), and wrestling. For instance, back in 2006 boxing PPVs netted ~100 million, and MMA netted ~>200 million. Now, MMA is on mainstream networks at primetime hours (like CBS).

It is certainly the biggest fighting sport. Does it compare to other sports?

I read something that said UFC.com gets more hits than NHL.com, and is approaching the level of NBA.com.

UFC nosebleed tickets are sold for about $200 a ticket, good tickets are easily 4 figures.

The UFC franchise is worth $1.3 billion (and UFC is not the only MMA company).

EA has made a UFC game (may not seem like a big deal, but EA makes the biggest sports games out there, and they're all major sports).

It looks like >4 million people consistently watch the CBS fights in real time.

MMA has a large worldwide following, not just US following. Over 100 countries watched UFC in 2009.

The thing the MMA sport needs to do is have one main league, like the NFL, NBA, etc. Right now the way it is structured, their biggest hero and champion is not really known by as many people as he should be, because UFC tries to screw him on his deal. Still guys like Brock Lesnar and Chuck Liddell are very well known.

MMA is still in its infancy, once they band together and market it better and especially once there are more heroes that people want to watch (think what Fischer did for chess, and Ali for boxing), I think it will explode even more. Right now there is a huge growth, especially in the number of "casual" fans (like me) making it less of a niche market. But it's still already immensely popular.

#455 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-31, 16:12

mike777, on Jan 31 2010, 04:59 PM, said:

First off if they stole the information or they are selling stolen goods, that is a crime. So sure pay them......arrest them, take back the money and use the information.

If they are just claiming some reward, then they give you the information for free, and just collect some reward. They are not selling the cd.

"The Lichtenstein Deal" was made by an ex employee of the bank and the BND = "german CIA". German justice judged that this information can be legal used.

The problem for Germany is..Switzerland, Luxembourg and Lichtenstein are safe harbours for the illegal transfered german capital..there are up to €500 billions on such money....and the authorities of these 3 countries refuse any cooperation with germans. so..such actions I described... are an act of self-defence for german state.

#456 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-31, 16:19

And as far as staying power, if boxing has stayed this long (yes I know part of it is that it's rooted in american tradition), MMA definitely should imo. MMA is just a much deeper and more difficult sport.

You can punch well? Let's see how you do when a guy tackles you and puts you in a choke hold! You can wrestle well? Let's see what you do when a guy has great takedown defense, and then beats the hell out of you. You fight pretty passively? Let's see what happens when a guy keeps kicking your leg until it's broken.

It is so much more diverse and there are many more skill sets needed. Nothing against boxers ofc.

It is also "cool" to me that the best MMA fighter could probably beat anyone in a real fight, whereas that's not true of the best boxer (and the best boxers would get destroyed in an MMA fight, even though the best MMA fighters would be destroyed in a boxing fight with boxers, real world fights are not bound by rules like boxing is).

#457 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2010-January-31, 16:36

Aberlour10, on Jan 31 2010, 05:12 PM, said:

mike777, on Jan 31 2010, 04:59 PM, said:

"The Lichtenstein Deal" was made by an ex employee of the bank and the BND = "german CIA". German justice judged that this information can be legal used.

The problem for Germany is..Swiss, Luxembourg and Lichtenstein are safe harbours for the illegal transfered german capital..there are up to €500 billions on such money....and the authorities of these 3 countries refuse any cooperation with germans. so..such actions I described... are an act of self-defence for german state.

I understand, the USA is involved in the same situation.

1) They told the bank UBS turn over your records of tax cheats.
2) The bank said no.
3) The uSA said we are going to throw you out of the usa, punish you etc.
4) the bank said ok we give up we will turn over the records.
5) Now a usa citizen went to Swiss courts to block the transfer of information and the lower court agreed.
6) at this point it is in appeals. but these countries do have big stick to waive, they will kick the swiss banks out of the country or arrest them in country.

http://article.wn.com/view/2010/01/23/US_v...UBS_tax_cheats/

#458 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-31, 16:44

Hypothetical case:

Who picked up the screenplay? Matt Damon or Mel Gibson?

If the guy trying to sell this info is still alive, I'm impressed.

Me too!!
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#459 User is offline   Jlall 

• Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2010-January-31, 17:09

Magnus Carlsen officially chess god. Just won another super GM tourney, despite losing an amazing game with Kramnik (his competition) where he could actually force a win but was in super time trouble. Credit to Kramnik for playing super aggro though and playing for a decision.

Actually I guess this just shows Kasparov is god, he decides to coach someone for a year and they instantly start winning everything.

Pretty sick stuff.

#460 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2010-February-01, 08:15

Magnus Carlsen is beyond words- and he was so before he studied with Kasparov. But surely the training made him even stronger. And he is so young...

And I would pay 2.5 Millions to earn 100 Mill.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

• 203 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google,