RIP Memoriam thread?
#1022
Posted 2026-January-11, 16:43
That's Phil Lesh, Bob Weir and Donna in 15 months or so. All too depressing.
#1025
Posted 2026-February-15, 14:00
Maureen Hall (hallway)
hallway was the founder and driving force behind the Beginner Intermediate Lounge (BIL) that was established on BBO in 2003. It was a club that many of us contributed to and provided a safe space for beginners and intermediate players at a time when public tables really were the 'Wild West' of the internet bridge world.
Maureen was in her ninth decade and passed away on 16 February 2026 from cancer.
Her final thoughts were included in a newsletter published by her son today:
"I am sincerely grateful to all who have given so much over the decades to keep BIL Bridge helping those new to bridge to reach whatever heights they wished. It has been a TEAM EFFORT !
I wish that one and all of you will continue until the last to enjoy your bridge journey.
It has been a privilege to have shared the journey with you until now.
The Office is now Closed.
Maureen (aka M)"
hallway was the founder and driving force behind the Beginner Intermediate Lounge (BIL) that was established on BBO in 2003. It was a club that many of us contributed to and provided a safe space for beginners and intermediate players at a time when public tables really were the 'Wild West' of the internet bridge world.
Maureen was in her ninth decade and passed away on 16 February 2026 from cancer.
Her final thoughts were included in a newsletter published by her son today:
"I am sincerely grateful to all who have given so much over the decades to keep BIL Bridge helping those new to bridge to reach whatever heights they wished. It has been a TEAM EFFORT !
I wish that one and all of you will continue until the last to enjoy your bridge journey.
It has been a privilege to have shared the journey with you until now.
The Office is now Closed.
Maureen (aka M)"
#1026
Posted 2026-February-16, 02:16
paulg, on 2026-February-15, 14:00, said:
Maureen Hall (hallway)
hallway was the founder and driving force behind the Beginner Intermediate Lounge (BIL) that was established on BBO in 2003. It was a club that many of us contributed to and provided a safe space for beginners and intermediate players at a time when public tables really were the 'Wild West' of the internet bridge world.
Maureen was in her ninth decade and passed away on 16 February 2026 from cancer.
Her final thoughts were included in a newsletter published by her son today:
"I am sincerely grateful to all who have given so much over the decades to keep BIL Bridge helping those new to bridge to reach whatever heights they wished. It has been a TEAM EFFORT !
I wish that one and all of you will continue until the last to enjoy your bridge journey.
It has been a privilege to have shared the journey with you until now.
The Office is now Closed.
Maureen (aka M)"
hallway was the founder and driving force behind the Beginner Intermediate Lounge (BIL) that was established on BBO in 2003. It was a club that many of us contributed to and provided a safe space for beginners and intermediate players at a time when public tables really were the 'Wild West' of the internet bridge world.
Maureen was in her ninth decade and passed away on 16 February 2026 from cancer.
Her final thoughts were included in a newsletter published by her son today:
"I am sincerely grateful to all who have given so much over the decades to keep BIL Bridge helping those new to bridge to reach whatever heights they wished. It has been a TEAM EFFORT !
I wish that one and all of you will continue until the last to enjoy your bridge journey.
It has been a privilege to have shared the journey with you until now.
The Office is now Closed.
Maureen (aka M)"
She was a very special lady. Organized until the very last day too. She left her club in order, assigned a successor, worked on the schedule up until the very last days.
I started in her club too back in the day, and found good friends and helpful mentors there.
She will be missed.
#1029
Posted 2026-February-19, 12:49
Jan Timman - one of the better non Eastern bloc chess players from when I got into chess through "the master game" on mainstream TV in the 70s
#1031
Posted 2026-April-14, 12:03
Maire Brennan, lead singer of Clannad and older sister of Eithne (Enya).
#1032
Posted 2026-May-18, 15:10
Dennis Locorriere https://www.youtube....h?v=FDS2hSmokQ0 another voice of my childhood gone
#1033
Posted 2026-June-12, 15:43
David Hockney 88.
Like every other person unknowledgeable about art I really liked the swimming pool paintings: https://www.reuters....ion-2024-01-25/
Like every other person unknowledgeable about art I really liked the swimming pool paintings: https://www.reuters....ion-2024-01-25/
#1038
Posted 2026-September-18, 22:04
Late to the party (and his characters would look down on me for that), but not mentioned: Tim Curry.
(I love the story that, after the stroke and requiring a wheelchair, he played in a revival of the Rocky Horror Show - as Dr. Scott. For some reason.)
Just because they have come to mind, here's an - alternative - look at a few of the latest we celebrate:
Bonnie Tyler - literal version
Dolly Parton - sloooowed down
Tim Curry - analyzed. By an Opera singer.
Note: No RickRoll, I promise. You might wish I had, though.
(I love the story that, after the stroke and requiring a wheelchair, he played in a revival of the Rocky Horror Show - as Dr. Scott. For some reason.)
Just because they have come to mind, here's an - alternative - look at a few of the latest we celebrate:
Bonnie Tyler - literal version
Dolly Parton - sloooowed down
Tim Curry - analyzed. By an Opera singer.
Note: No RickRoll, I promise. You might wish I had, though.
"Do you hear it?" -- Molly Conger
#1039
Posted 2026-October-01, 02:59
Esther Rantzen
I don't know how well known she is outside the UK, but she had an extraordinary impact here.
Groundbreaking woman in TV, she presented a program called that's life from 1973-1994 which had a peak viewership of 20 million, a third of the population on a Sunday evening. She also performed many other roles on that program which was very unusual at that time.
She brought the story of Nicholas Winton to TV. https://www.youtube....h?v=OqqbM1B-mPY
A successful campaign of hers was to get soft surfaces for outdoor child play areas, so if you fell it wasn't on to concrete.
Then she went on to found 2 charity phone lines (before the mobile phone/internet age)
Childline - where children could phone in to report abuse
Silverline - for lonely older people
In her later years and particularly in her last years when suffering from cancer she campaigned for assisted dying.
https://en.wikipedia.../Esther_Rantzen
I don't know how well known she is outside the UK, but she had an extraordinary impact here.
Groundbreaking woman in TV, she presented a program called that's life from 1973-1994 which had a peak viewership of 20 million, a third of the population on a Sunday evening. She also performed many other roles on that program which was very unusual at that time.
She brought the story of Nicholas Winton to TV. https://www.youtube....h?v=OqqbM1B-mPY
A successful campaign of hers was to get soft surfaces for outdoor child play areas, so if you fell it wasn't on to concrete.
Then she went on to found 2 charity phone lines (before the mobile phone/internet age)
Childline - where children could phone in to report abuse
Silverline - for lonely older people
In her later years and particularly in her last years when suffering from cancer she campaigned for assisted dying.
https://en.wikipedia.../Esther_Rantzen

Help
