inquiry, on Dec 23 2007, 11:39 AM, said:
blackshoe, you are being too pedantic in applying bridge laws from the real world to the world of online bridge....
Am I now? So be it.
Where I use "you" in the following, I'm not singling out any particular individual - rather the body of players and administrators of online bridge.
Oojah asked what his readers would do in a particular situation. I told him what I would do, and I told him why. I have been told repeatedly in these forums that "the f2f laws don't apply to online bridge" and "nobody cares what the rules are" and other such manure. Fine. But if a question like "what are the rules" comes up, I'm gonna answer it. Correctly, to the best of my ability. If you all want to do something
not within the rules, go right ahead. You can use whatever specious excuse you like, too. That doesn't change the fact that Law 12 in the online version of the laws published by the WBF is identical to Law 12 in the f2f lawbook.
The preface to the online laws contains this:
Quote
Game Providers will note the powers given to them to regulate temporary changes of the provisions where these are necessitated by the limitations of the software. The WBF anticipates that developments in software configuration will eliminate any such requirement in due course.
IMO, that doesn't justify awarding an assigned adjusted score when the laws call for an artificial one, or at least not after there's been time to correct the software, if that's a problem, but again, do what you damn well please - you will anyway.
There's also the introduction to the online laws, in which the WBF points out that "The primary objective of the WBFLC in considering laws for online bridge is and must be the protection of the integrity and unity of the game." I don't think letting directors (or players) do whatever they damn well please is compatible with that goal, but I also recognize that I can't stop them. But that doesn't mean I have to like it.
I'm not sure whether "all players can point to the last trick to see what card was played" refers to the card
they played, or the whole trick. Doesn't matter. The online laws say
Law 66A said:
Until the completion of a trick, declarer or either defender may, if permitted by the sponsoring organisation, inspect the previous trick.
This is different to the f2f laws, and I don't have a problem with that.
What's "fair" is what the rules of the game
say is fair, not what somebody thinks ought to be considered fair. If you think an assigned adjusted score is appropriate for certain situations because the software won't allow you to comply with Law 8B (again, identical in both versions of the laws) then you either lobby the software provider to change the software, or you lobby the WBF to change the law.
That's what's fair.