BBO Discussion Forums: Cultural Awareness - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cultural Awareness

#1 User is offline   kenrexford 

  • Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,586
  • Joined: 2005-September-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lima, Allen County, North-West-Central Ohio, USA
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2007-February-12, 10:54

This has nothing to do with bridge. I just had occasion to remember a funny anecdote that some of you may appreciate.

One of my roommates in law school was Nick, a friend from Bristol, England. He and I went to my cousin's place on the Chesapeake Bay for the weekend, meeting up with my cousin (recently divorced) and his new, dizzy girlfriend.

As I was talking with my cousin, Nick and the new squeeze were talking. She noted his accent and asked where he was from. Nick answered "I'm from England."

He was flattered by her response. "Wow -- you really have learned to speak the language well."

I suppose she meant to compliment the educational system in England?
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users