• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cheating Allegations

#421 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-September-11, 17:57

blackshoe, on 2015-September-11, 15:42, said:

It affects their ability to earn a living by playing bridge. While people have a right to earn a living, I'm not so sure they have a right to do so by whatever means they choose. My response to a bridge pro who got caught cheating and who then complained "you've taken away my right to earn a living!" would be "no we haven't, we just aren't going to let you do it in our tournaments or clubs. Go find some other game to cheat in."

It's not just their tournaments. Their reputation is tarnished, which prevents them from getting hired to play in any tournament.

It's similar to what happens if a teacher is falsely accused of molesting a student. It may be impossible for them to get a teaching job, and I imagine they could sue the accuser for defamation.

#422 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-September-11, 19:03

Yeah, I understand that, Barry. But if the criteria for banning a player for cheating, or even just bringing up the possibility, are that stringent, it will almost never be the case that anybody will be formally charged with anything resembling cheating. Seems to me that's pretty much what we have now, and an awful lot of people are saying they don't like it. "Cheating is rampant," they say, "and we need to put a stop to it." Can't have it both ways. Pick one or the other.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#423 User is offline   bridgeqb 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-September-11, 23:34

rhm, on 2015-September-11, 01:42, said:

Your descriptions is correct, your conclusions are faulty.
Due process is in deed designed to protect the innocent ones. That's why it is important.

But it does not follow, that due process protects the guilty ones as well.

Rainer Herrmann

It's the claim of the dolts that wrote the handbook not mine. But I can't refute it - excluding some evidence because of protection of rights would be at least as helpful to the guilty as the innocent and the
numbers are now skewed to guilty getting off.

#424 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-September-12, 12:19

blackshoe, on 2015-September-11, 19:03, said:

Yeah, I understand that, Barry. But if the criteria for banning a player for cheating, or even just bringing up the possibility, are that stringent, it will almost never be the case that anybody will be formally charged with anything resembling cheating. Seems to me that's pretty much what we have now, and an awful lot of people are saying they don't like it. "Cheating is rampant," they say, "and we need to put a stop to it." Can't have it both ways. Pick one or the other.

I'm not saying we shouldn't put a stop to cheaters. But that doesn't mean that bridge leagues should be immune to lawsuits.

#425 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-September-12, 14:32

No, it doesn't. B-)
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#426 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-12, 16:34

I think many members are not able to follow all these monster threads at the BW. Would someone here give a description about recent developements and current standing in this issue?. Thanks.
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#427 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-September-12, 16:45

Briefly, Boye Broglund says there's more to come, the IBF is investigating, The EBL is investigating, the ACBL is investigating, Fisher and Schwartz have said they aren't going to play together for now, the Israeli team has withdrawn from the Bermuda Bowl, and Jimmy Cayne has said that he's down with giving up the Spingold title, and will not have anything to do with these two in future if the results of the investigation (he was referring here, I think, to either the IBF or the ACBL one, but I suppose it wouldn't matter which one) showed that Fisher and Schwartz were cheating. The rest, IMO, is the clucking of chickens in the barnyard.
--------------------

#428 User is offline   WGF_Flame 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-September-12, 23:18

Trinidad, on 2015-September-05, 10:44, said:

I don't agree. F-S have already said hey won't play together until this is resolved. The Bermuda Bowl starts at the end of this month. The sooner the EBF vacates the qualification spot, the easier it is to replace the Israeli team in the BB.

And no matter what would happen in the next few weeks, it would be very hard (if not impossible) for the Israeli team to perform well under these circumstances.

Rik

FS were not on the Israeli team for this year bermuda.

#429 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-13, 00:46

WGF_Flame, on 2015-September-12, 23:18, said:

FS were not on the Israeli team for this year bermuda.

But FS were on the team that earned the qualification.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#430 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2015-September-13, 06:17

I expected more from Brogeland already, is it being delayed or something?

#431 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-13, 06:46

Fluffy, on 2015-September-13, 06:17, said:

I have heard rumours that another dramatic announcement is imminent ...
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#432 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-13, 08:29

Fluffy, on 2015-September-13, 06:17, said:

My conjecture on Boye's role in the F-S unveiling is that he probably initiated all the dramatic announcements without a full road map for his "royal flush".
  • I base this conjecture on the fact that most of the groundwork was done by other people after the inital "J" announcement.
  • A few days later, Boye's new videos focused on coughs and their supposed significance rather than on signals using the placement of the boards.

I wouldn't be surprised if no new material is presented.

#433 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2015-September-13, 08:30

You mean... another pair(s)?, that is consistent with the names Brogeland has picked for his webpage (bridgecheaters) and facebook page (Bridge: a clean game)

#434 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-September-13, 08:36

lamford, on 2015-September-13, 06:46, said:

I've got my popcorn ready, but the NFL starts in 2½ hours so this announcement had better be quick.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#435 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2015-September-13, 08:46

shyams, on 2015-September-13, 08:29, said:

My conjecture on Boye's role in the F-S unveiling is that he probably initiated all the dramatic announcements without a full road map for his "royal flush".
  • I base this conjecture on the fact that most of the groundwork was done by other people after the inital "J" announcement.
  • A few days later, Boye's new videos focused on coughs and their supposed significance rather than on signals using the placement of the boards.

That though passed through my mind as well, but I don't think this is an issue were boye would bluff

#436 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-13, 09:17

Well, it's been established that coughing indicates a weak hand (in the context of the auction). And it seems pretty clear Boye was aware of that. I also find it hard to believe that he posted the 3NT-lead video, was convinced there was a signal for the heart lead, and didn't think to look at the unusual board placement.

But if I was a cheater and he showed me the J, I knew I'd fold - even if it's a semi-bluff, I'll likely be found out once lots of eye-balls are watching videos of sets I played.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#437 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-13, 10:42

[list]
[*]I base this conjecture on the fact that most of the groundwork was done by other people after the inital "J" announcement.

And where did you get the "fact" that most of the groundwork was not already in progress by those people before the first announcement?
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#438 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-13, 12:43

lamford, on 2015-September-13, 06:46, said:

I don't know if it means anything, but Franck Multon of the Monaco team posted an article on BridgeWinners basically attacking Boye. I can't think of any reason for doing so unless ..... ?

#439 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-September-13, 13:10

johnu, on 2015-September-13, 12:43, said:

I don't know if it means anything, but Franck Multon of the Monaco team posted an article on BridgeWinners basically attacking Boye. I can't think of any reason for doing so unless ..... ?

Then I think I know the 2nd bombshell pair name. I did not read it yet, I will go check now.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#440 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2015-September-13, 13:18

MrAce, on 2015-September-13, 13:10, said:

Then I think I know the 2nd bombshell pair name. I did not read it yet, I will go check now.

The post was so astonishingly badly written that I was tempted to suggest that he wrote it in his native language and I used Google Translate, but I was hauled over the coals when I once did that on here! The post:

Mr Boye Brogeland is a funny Man When he play with Fischer -Schwartz , he dont speak for cheating but When the next year he loose against this pair

He réveal all , i am not sûre is clean attitude . Poor. Fischer Schwartz if he continue to play with this Man is better

I think one response is enough:
"I don't understand the post. Sorry" - David Gold
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

9 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook