• You cannot reply to this topic

Decision Time

#21 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-January-31, 23:59

View PostHighLow21, on 2012-January-31, 21:21, said:

Wow. WOW! I'm really fascinated by the obnoxious arrogance of all 3 responses to my posts. of my own posts so far

FYP

#22 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-01, 03:31

Phil, I still can't find the stickies. Maybe it's because it's 4:30AM and I'm not interpreting directions correctly. Stickies are forum threads that stay at the top of the forum, yes? (i.e., not replies within the individual thread that are at the top). A/E forum doesn't seem to have any such pinned threads at the top. Am I missing something?

I am a total newbie to forums.

And my apologies to anyone I might have offended --> I guess when someone uses the phrase "everyone of a decent standard" they may not have meant any offense, but I definitely took it that way. I may not have the best bidding system in the world or a litany of championships under my belt, but I am excellent at this game and can't see myself ever playing a double in that situation as being primarily takeout. It can show cards; it can show quick tricks; but if I were interested in slam the last thing I personally would bid at the 5 level is a double of the opponent's very ambitious and long-suited preempt.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#23 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-February-01, 04:21

High low,

I have never ever heard someone here before call himself excellent. Not Mike, nor Justin, Gonzalo, Fred, Andy, Frances whoever. And they are internationalists for their countries. And they are really excellent. Do you mind to tell us, who you are, as you must be surely a member of the Blue Team, the Dalles Aces or at least Dutch Orange...?

I join the 6 camp, fully aware that 7 may be laydown.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#24 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-01, 05:39

Thanks all for the comments. This situation had not been explicitly discussed with this partner (we'd played several events together before, but not in over a year) and simply agreed to "standard" for any such situation. We both understood that the double was "do something smart," not "I have diamonds." The issue for me was "what is smart?"

It seemed a bit pushy to turn a plus score into a potential minus by risking it on a slam (partner may not be able to cover all my slow losers), and with 3 Aces and zero trump I thought my ODR was not as low as most of the responders seem to, so I passed. Didn't work out...

View Postwyman, on 2012-January-31, 21:58, said:

KQ87/K43/92/KJ103

Nice guess ;)

That was indeed partner's hand, so pass was not the best option. 6 was cold (on not 5-0 hearts), 7 on finding the queen of clubs.

Even after reconsidering that pass was wrong, it was still not clear to me if I was supposed to bid 6C, 5NT, or something else. Thanks for the thoughts.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#25 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-01, 06:45

I'm trusting partner doesn't double here with much less
than S:KJ + C:KQ. I try 6C.

#26 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-01, 07:13

I like 5NT better than 6C, partner could even be 6-2-3-2. If we have a 5-4 club fit we'll get there after 5NT anyway. If we have a 5-3 club fit, we'll likely have a fit elsewhere that is at least as long.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#27 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-February-01, 07:21

HighLow, there are essentially 2 schools of thought on what this double means at the 5 level. The more traditional is card-showing, effectively asking partner to do something reasonably intelligent. The more modern solution is to play take-out doubles at all levels. Robson and Segal argue for the latter method in their excellent book on competitive bidding. You may not understand why this approach is good but many world class players do use it. Whatever your meaning for double, if you try to add hands such as your example - weak with length in the opponents' suit - into the double then you are spreading yourself too thin.

On the subject of forum etiquette, if you publically announce that only your chosen method is reasonable even though world champion players play the alternative then you are likely to attract a seriously negative response. There are many ways of approaching bidding in the game of bridge and it would be extremely arrogant for anyone to claim that only their way works. I doubt even someone like Rodwell would make such a claim. It is worse if you make a personal attack while apparently making such a claim.

While noone here can honestly say they know whether you are a good or bad player, or merely one of the nameless intermediates, I can assure you that following such a course will not impress anyone. Making high-quality posts that are helpful, thought-provoking and insightful on the other hand will quickly endear you to many. I look forward to you showing us your excellent bridge ability in such posts in the future.

Edit: @Codo, at least one member of these forums regularly describes themselves as an expert. More commonly, one of our resident experts describes another that way to a poster that appears not to be aware of it.
(-: Zel :-)

#28 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-February-01, 07:33

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-February-01, 07:21, said:

Making high-quality posts that are helpful, thought-provoking and insightful on the other hand will quickly endear you to many.

I usually prefer humorous over thought-provoking posts. I'm already thinking so much these days that I have trouble sleeping, I prefer my thoughts not to be further provoked.

- hrothgar

#29 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-February-01, 09:46

View PostHighLow21, on 2012-February-01, 03:31, said:

Phil, I still can't find the stickies. Maybe it's because it's 4:30AM and I'm not interpreting directions correctly. Stickies are forum threads that stay at the top of the forum, yes? (i.e., not replies within the individual thread that are at the top). A/E forum doesn't seem to have any such pinned threads at the top. Am I missing something?

I am a total newbie to forums.

And my apologies to anyone I might have offended --> I guess when someone uses the phrase "everyone of a decent standard" they may not have meant any offense, but I definitely took it that way. I may not have the best bidding system in the world or a litany of championships under my belt, but I am excellent at this game and can't see myself ever playing a double in that situation as being primarily takeout. It can show cards; it can show quick tricks; but if I were interested in slam the last thing I personally would bid at the 5 level is a double of the opponent's very ambitious and long-suited preempt.

I posted a hyperlink to one of a 'pinned' threads by diana_eva. If you click on it you will be redirected there. For convenience, here is the 1st post in the thread, and I have highlighted a portion that is relevant:

I have complained about the Forum regulars attitude toward newcomers quite a few times, but the solution is probably to help them out with a few basic netiquette tips. I am rather new to all this myself, so please add your own tips and tricks for successful BBF-ing:

Read the BBF Terms of Service
Lurk more. Lurking is when you hang around without contributing so that when you are ready to contribute, you know what to do, and what not to do. This usually avoids getting sarcastic replies from the Forum regulars.
Before posting something run a Search and make sure the subject you have in mind hasn't been covered already. There is a Search box at the top of the window. Google Search is even better. Click here to see How to use Google to search the BBF
Don't type in CAPS. This is perceived as rude and it is the equivalent of "yelling".
Don't abuse fonts, emoticons, suit symbols or memes. Don't post old memes.
Don't post in specialized Forums unless you are qualified to do that. Sarcastic replies in the Advanced - Expert Forums for example are not likely to be moderated.
Get started in the Beginner Intermediate Forums if you have bridge questions. You will get thoughtful answers from the experts.
If you feel like posting something silly please go ahead - there is a Water Cooler Forum just for that.
When you get in trouble or run out of arguments post a cat picture.

Edit: Removed suggestion to not use old memes.
Edit: Added Google Search
Edit: This is already mentioned in the Forum Rules, but do not post Abuse issues in the Forums. If someone is rude, or if you suspect a pair is cheating, or if anything else bothers you about other BBO members send a mail to abuse@bridgebase.com. They have the tools to investigate and take the necessary measures.

Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#30 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2012-February-01, 12:08

Looks like an easy 6C, but I can see how pass can work better.

5NT also comes to mind and might be a better bid.

#31 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-01, 13:21

I would be thinking more along the lines of if I should just bid 7 rather than settle for 6. I would just settle for 6 but if you gave me the CQ I'm sure I'd bid 7.

#32 User is offline   microcap 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-07, 08:17

Rex and I are having a similar major fight over the following hand: As usual, it has two parts from both perspectives. First, you hold:

Partner opens 1, promising at least 4 cards and likely an unbalanced hand. Now annoying RHO tosses in a 4 preempt.

Do you take action? If so, what is it?

Of course the followup is:

You hold
and the auction is 1- LHO 4. If partner doubles, what do you do? If partner passes, what do you do?

#33 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-February-07, 08:25

View Postmicrocap, on 2012-February-07, 08:17, said:

Do you take action? If so, what is it?
If partner doubles, what do you do?
If partner passes, what do you do?

Pass.
4NT.
X playing the modern style, 4NT playing something more traditional.
(-: Zel :-)

#34 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-February-07, 08:45

+1 for P/4N/X
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#35 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-07, 08:59

I think its worth considering P/4N/4N.

The south hand has so much strength in two suits that its not really suitable for a t/o double imo, as often when partner passes oppo might have a stiff heart and 4S will be cold and you will have had ten tricks in a red suit.

Its a difficult decision after 1d 4s p p for sure, but I am thinking that 4N might well be right. Maybe tomorrow I'll wake up and think double is better. I didnt see the vul, but certainly green vs red I will be bidding 4N I think.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#36 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-February-07, 10:44

I think double after partner passes stands out, I really dislike 4NT.

Pass with partner's hand and 4NT after the double are also pretty obvious, unless you play penalty doubles. Microcap, to my mind there is nothing to argue about. You can agree to play penalty doubles after 1D - 4S or you play takeout/cards doubles. Either way I think the answers are obvious.

- hrothgar

#37 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-07, 11:23

HighLow21

Ok now I know how I look when I try to argue hopeless position with players who actually have a clue :)
At least I try to have back-up in actually knowing what good players play before I try this :)
As to the problem. 6 is imo the choice. We need to flop too much to try a grand. KQx K to begin with and 4th club or K for 13th trick.

#38 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-07, 11:47

I'm no expert, I just enjoy the game, but X for me is as the others say. Takeout orientated at low levels, more-than-expected-values orientated at high levels. It doesn't show a diamond stack, so I pass with nothing much to say, and bid if I have. Here I am very happy to bid when partner has values.

Having said that, some people at some local clubs are prone to way over-preempting. If I know the offender, I am more inclined to pass.

Incidentally, I just read the newbies tips, and it says "if you run out of arguments post a cat". Has Mr Ace run out of arguments?

#39 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-February-07, 12:15

Actually, when Josh Donn was posting regularly on BBO fora, he posted the fattest cat I have seen in a while. And he will never run out of arguments.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#40 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-February-07, 12:35

One thing that has been implied but not stated in the above posts is that when you have a pure penalty double over one of these high-level preempts you have to pass. If partner reopens with a double, great - you can convert it.

It just makes too much sense to use the double as card showing rather than as a penalty double. You just have to get used to the idea that you are going to miss out on a juicy penalty in those rare instances where you happen to hold a trump stack over a 4 or 5 level preempt and partner does not reopen with a double.

It is almost the same as playing takeout doubles at the one-level. Sometimes RHO opens 1 and you hold the KQJTxx of spades. I don't think anyone will argue that a double of 1 should be for penalties (although that was true in the early years of bridge - and I may be talking about auction bridge - unfortunately, I lost my authority on the early days of contract bridge a couple of years ago).

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users